The Cook With Us kitchen was busy last Friday filming the latest TV episode of “In The Kitchen“. Mike Gonzalez made our excellent traditional Mexican Beef Salad. Afterwards the crew digs in hungrily and it gets thumbs up!
The show airs locally in the CD’A Spokane area. Catch us weekends on Channel 4 KXLY. Times vary so check out the schedule for the show “In The Kitchen” at www.hfntv.com (Hispanic Food Network)
• 2/3 cups vinaigrette salad dressing, bottled or homemade
• 1/3 cup prepared tomato salsa, bottled or homemade
• 3 cups cooked beef, sliced into strips
• 4 cups lettuce of choice, torn
• 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
• 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
• 12 manzanilla olives
• ½ cup garbanzo beans
• 2 avocados, sliced
• Queso cotijo cheese, crumbled
• 1 red onion, escabeche*
Combine the dressing and salsa, add the sliced beef and combine. Cover bowl, refrigerate for several hours to marinate.
In a large bowl mix the lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, olives, garbanzo’s, and marinated beef. Mix well.
Mound the salad onto plates and garnish with slices of avocado and crumbled cheese. Surround the salad with homemade tortilla chips and a small mound of red onion escabeche.*
Serves 4- 6
*Red onions Escabeche / Marinated Red onions
• 1 large red onion, sliced
• 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
• 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
Combine all ingredients; add enough vinegar to cover the onions. Cover and let marinate for several hours before serving.